Sunday, May 12, 2013

How do you reinstall osx on a mac?

Q. I have a Macbook Pro (early 2008) (the one with silver keys) and its currently running osx 10.5.8. my sister has a Macbook (the white one) and it has 10.6 installed already. Can i use the 10.6.3 installation disc that came with the Macbook, to upgrade my 10.5.8 Macbook pro? or would i have to buy a separate snow lepard disc?

A. You have to buy a seperate snow leopard disk. The disk that came with your sisters mac will only work on her mac. The disk is only $29 dollars and the upgrade is well worth it. You can buy it at best buy or from apple.

If I upgrade my Mac OS will it slow my computer down?
Q. I have a 3 year old white Macbook running OSX 10.5.8 with 2GB Ram 800mhz. I would like to try upgrading to Mountain Lion, but from the reviews I've read a lot of people are saying it is slowing down their computers. Do you think it would slow my computer down a lot if I upgrade?

A. Huh? What is it? "800mhz" is for ... what? Maybe the RAM speed. If so, that is four and a half years old, "Early 2008" model.

The best way to identify your Mac is by Model Identifier...

In OS 10.6.8 or earlier....
About This Mac > More Info (Opens System Profiler). Look for "Model Identifier".

If I am right that it is an Early 2008 (Model Identifier = MacBook4,1), it cannot use OS 10.8 "Mountain Lion" at all...
Supported Models:
* iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
* MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
* MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
* Xserve (Early 2009)
* MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
* Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
* Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

If it is an "Early 2009" (Model Identifier = MacBook5,2 ), increase the RAM to 6GB (one 2GB module, one 4GB module). After installing OS 10.8, it will definitely be faster.

As for the guy who can't play his web-based games well, he needs to call his ISP, and buy a 20M account. Then he needs to maximize the RAM, just like I suggested for your 2009... if you really do have a 2009.

Can any regular mac version upgrade to Leopard or Snow Leopard?
Q. I got a Mac about a year and a half ago and right now I have Mac OSx version 10.5.8 and I was wondering if I could upgrade to Snow Leopard, Leopard, or Tiger? Also, if so do you have to have the regular Leopard first to upgrade to Snow Leopard or can you just go directly and skip?

A. OS X 10.5 is Leopard. If you got your Mac new a year ad a half ago, it is probably an Intel based machine and you'll be able to upgrade to OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) quite cheaply. Snow Leopard is supposed to have a significant speed advantage over Leopard.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment