Friday, December 7, 2012

how do you reformat an external hard drive to go on my Mac osx?

Q. I have a WD external hard drive that my Mac time machine says needs to be reformatted. How do I do this? please only serious people willing to help.

A. Open up Disk Utility, you can sear in Spotlight, and select the disk on right side, it should not be Macintosh HD or where you are booting from, then click the Erase tab, Select from the pull down menu, "Mac OS Extended Journal", then click erase.

The drive should appear on the desktop.

How do I go from Mac OSX 10.4.11 to 10.5.8?
Q. I just got an iPod touch, and it says that it's not compatible unless the operating system is 10.5.8 or higher. How do I download this/make it work?
I have no problem buying anything, I just need to know how to get to it, and how to buy it.

A. You need 10.5 (leopard) or 10.6 (snow leopard) upgrades. Youll have to buy them from a mac store. You can just update your os software from 10.4 to 10.5 or 10.6 through the software update because these are new and different operating systems and are needed to be purchased.
If your machine doesnt have an intel processor then 10.6 wont work and youll have to settle for 10.5. From there you can just update the os to 10.5.8 through the software update thing under the apple icon, this is free.

Unless you know someone with a 10.5 install disk that wouldve come with a new (now old) mac then youll need to buy it.

Going to replace my old HDD in my macbook with a newer newer one, do I do this then install mac osx?
Q. or should I transfer my data from my laptop to the new HDD using a data transfer device, I really don't want to spend the extra money to get it, I'd rather just install the new HDD, then insert the mac osx disk and install leopord, then plug in my external HDD and let time machine restore my computer to its current state, I'd rather do it like this. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

A. you need to put the new os on the drive before you can transfer the data




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment