Sunday, April 21, 2013

How to change back to OSX Lion?

Q. The system on my mac is Mountain Lion, I bought it from the Mac App store. I also bought Lion from Mac App Store, can I change my system back to Lion? Thank you!

A. If you installed OS 10.8 over OS 10.7, you have no more OS 10.7. Here are the steps needed....
-- Find your Lion installer.
-- Make a DVD by following the steps in the article linked below.
-- Backup important documents.
-- Boot to the DVD.
-- Open Disk Utility and erase the internal drive or make a second partition of at least 40 GB.
-- Quit Disk Utility and install OS X.

Can i erase everything off of my mac without a disc?
Q. I wanna erase everything off of my Lion OSX macbook pro, is there an easy and simple way to do this?

A. From what I can see yes. You can reformat and delete everything but you do need a disc. Now, you don't have a disc so I suggest you get a blank dvd or flash drive. Find online the os you want to write on it. (Thats not legal by the way.) After you put the os (probably an .iso file) on the dvd or flash drive put it into your computer. Reboot and go to the bios and make either the dvd or external storage device the primary boot. Then you format your hard drive and install the os. Now, getting the os is not legal and I suggest you buy it to make sure there isn't any risks. So, if you want to do this legally, no you cannot.

Edit: Windows 8 Preview is free but I have heard it's really buggy on Mac.

How do I get rid of the administrative account on my PowerBook G4?
Q. I bought an Apple PowerBook G4 on eBay recently, running Mac OSX Leopard. However, there is still an administrative account on the system and it is still registered to the person I bought it from. Is there a way that I can somehow reboot the system so that I can I register my own name on it. Unfortunately I don't have the original start-up discs or the operating system discs.
Thanks in advance for any answers.

A. You have to set up a new user with an administrative account before you can delete the first one - the machine needs at least one Administrator.

This is easy to do if you have the password for the original account. Go to System Preferences; Users and click the + sign to Add a user, enter the info for your new account, and give it Admin privileges. Reboot or switch users to your new account, then you can go back into Users and delete the old account (-)

If you don't have the password then it becomes more difficult because you can't create a new account (or install software) without an Admin password. You can reset the existing admin password by rebooting the machine from OSX installation disks. Then follow the steps above.

The machine should have been sold to you with the disks, it was improper of the seller not to include them. You can't use OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard or 10.7 Lion on this machine, so new retail disks won't help you. A retail (black label DVD) set of OSX 10.4 or 10.5 should work if you can find some for sale. The bundled restore disks (gray label DVD) will NOT work unless they are for the same model of Mac as yours.

You can contact Apple Support to see if they will sell you appropriate disks for this machine.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment