Wednesday, April 24, 2013

How do I install mac os x on my external hardrive that already had files on it.?

Q. I have a MacBook that the hardrive is broken on. I have been running the laptop off of a borrowed external hardrive and now I'd like to move the os x onto another external hardrive I have which already had files on it. How can I do this?

A. As long as hard drive #2 is Mac formatted, with a GUID partition map, and has enough room on it, then OSX will install onto that drive from the DVD without deleting any existing data.

If the drive is formatted for Windows or was previously used on an old school PowerPC Mac, then the data will have to backed up off the drive, and it would need to be repartitioned and formatted.

How do you make a segmented archive in OSX?
Q. I need to split a file to fit onto a FAT formatted external drive, is there any easy way to split it into multiple .zip or .rar chunks.

A. Hi.
Here's a link with detailed instructions (OS X):
http://www.delamainit.com/articles_how-tos/apple-mac-osx/multi-segmented-compressed-archives-osx.html

And here's a link to a website full of OS X goodies:
http://www.coolosxapps.net/

Good luck

What format should I use to burn a copy of a dvd I own?
Q. I want to make a copy of a dvd I own. I downloaded handbrake so I could also copy it to my ipod, and it gives me the option to make the final file a mp4, avm, or ogm. Would any of these formats work for creating a dvd that would work in most players, or is there another program I should download. I use mac osx.
Also, if I just want to make a copy of the movie to watch on my computer what should I use?

A. hi you can make the final file as mp4 which is supported by most of players. You can also have a try of DVD Ripper for Mac. It can rip DVDs to many popular formats and featurs many fuctions. for trial version http://www.mp4converter.net/dvd-ripper-mac.html.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment