Wednesday, April 17, 2013

How do i back up using Mac OSX Time Machine?

Q. Ok, i have an external hard drive and i used time machine to back up about 80gigs of data. I then proceeded to reinstall snow leopard on my computer cleaning everything off in the process. How do I restore everything to the way it was, I was under the impression that it was similar to System Restore but I'm sure its a bit more complicated then that. Can someone help me please?

A. It's not exactly like Restore but you open Time Machine, go to the date you want. You then need to select what you want to restore. It can be files, folders, Apps, or the the whole drive (although I have not had good luck with that last one. It' probably better to just select the file/folder./app and you'll see the Restore button (bottom right corner) light up. Click it. I think it's better than Restore since you can actually go into the folders and see what files are there. You can see what apps you have installed.

It may make more sense to just Restore exactly what you need instead of installing everything again.

How do I get all of my music, photos, and movies back?
Q. I own a mac and some pop up comes up that says you are low on space. So I follow the instructions from a friend and they tell me to reload the disk that I ran when I got the computer that installs Mac OSX and now all of my stuff is gone. How can I get my old stuff back?

While I'm at it, how can I get rid of all the programs that come on the mac off if I don't need them (iMovie, Address Book, iChat, Mail, GarageBand, etc.)

A. If you reloaded from the restore disk, everything is gone. Your system has been wiped cleaned and restored to factory fresh, out of the box state. Don't do that again. There is other ways to clean up disk space besides wiping it out. People like you keep me employed in the IT business.

How to do a clean install of mac osx on a macbook?
Q. I have a mac book that i need to have wiped and the OS reinstalled i am downloading the OS on a windows machine. how do i burn it and then have the mac book boot from it to reinstall the os

A. Its not really easy to pirate OS X dude.
Somehow you have to get the windows machine to burn it to an iso disk, which you then put in the mac. The mac will check the EFI to see if its legit, and it will do its little Ding.
Hold down the option key when you hear the Ding and wait. You should get a white screen with the disk and the hard drive. Boot from the disk. Try to work your way through the installer, but it might not be easy considering your OS X disk is pirate, so it wont have the special data apple disks have.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment