Sunday, March 17, 2013

What is the easiest laptop that is not a Mac to use for an elementary teacher?

Q. Price limit is not an option. I mainly concern with WiFI, battery life, if it has Microsoft Word, and Windows XP. I wil be creating lesson plans on it and I am not that great with computers. So I want the laptop to be reliable and not complicating to set up. I want a laptop that I can get a lot of good years out of!

A. What determines if a computer is easy or not? Software, right? All PCs come with Windows, but a Mac comes with Mac OS X, the most advanced and easiest to use operating system in the world! Plus, if there's an Apple store near you, they have personalized classes you can take, or plenty of online tutorials strait from Apple!

Take some time to watch this video:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/

Also, check out iWork. It is made by Apple, and it's soooo much easier to use than MS Word. I started out using MS Word, but Pages just takes the cake. You don't have to fight with putting images within your document. It is so much more fluid. Check out some of the tutorials:
http://www.apple.com/iwork

What mac book pro should i get anf what should i get with it?
Q. 13,15,or17 inch and what processor and what apps like iwork and Microsoft office. I don't realy use a computer for stuff other than watch movies and videos from netflix and youtube and I go to school. In 7th grade. I turned 13 2 days ago what should I get?

A. Mac Books can be much easier to use for some people vs. a PC; however, you may be buying a computer that is overpowered, and are thus spending more than you need, if all you intend to use it for is watching movies and doing school work.

Most PC's tend to have more gaming options if you think you'll be gaming on your computer. Additionally, a decently priced ($400-500) PC like Toshiba, Lenovo or Acer should be more than enough. Go for a Dual Core processor around 1.5 Ghz (1.2 through 1.8 GHZ) with 2 GB of ram and a 250-500 GB hard drive. That should be enough.

For school work, save yourself some money by Downloading OpenOffice from openoffice.org for free!

What are the benefits of a Mac over a PC?
Q. What would make me want to spend twice the price for a Mac, especially with the economy as bad as it is?
I'm trying to decide if I should get the Macbook or something like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9149557&type=product&id=1218036213752

A. It totally depends on what you want to use the machine for.

Macs are nice...I bought one for my wife last year and she loves it. Me, I don't use the thing very much, because I'm a .NET developer and spend my days in a windows environment. She does all kinds of picture stuff, along with the usual word processing and surfing. For her purposes, it's a very very easy system to use and she never has any quirky problems with it. Nearly everything she gets for it is plug and play or very easy to install. Getting it setup on our home network was cake (and the home network is PC based...).

All that said..Apple makes the most proprietary stuff in the world. If you want something for your Mac, you'll likely get it from Apple, and it will cost you more. They are getting better with a lot of stuff, but you've still got a lot to deal with. You can install MS Office on a mac, and it works just as well...but iWork...well, I personally think that is a crappy application at best.

If you are not a Windows power user, you will not regret your decision to purchase a macbook. It will work well, it'll be fast, and it'll be easy to use.

Still, don't listen too much to the Vista haters out there...nearly every vista hater out there has never owned vista, and has not likely tried to install any of their apps in a vista environment. Vista has improved, and is not nearly as bad as it was when it hit the streets. So don't let "vista sucks" be the sole reason for buying a mac.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment