Thursday, March 21, 2013

How to set up an IMAP mail server with a Mac?

Q. I am looking to set up an IMAP server for my pop email accounts. I would like to find a complete walkthrough for setting up some kind of server for this purpose running OSX (preferably). Any links to sites detailing this or your own walkthrough is greatly welcomed. Thanks.

A. Depending on how someone interprets your question, it is either not possible, or not practical.

What you're asking literally is how to set up a server to communicate to a server. This isn't very practical, because if you were setting up your own server for email, it would make more sense to go ahead and host the mail client on your own server, instead of using a third-party mail client. You would have to have an always-on machine, as well as a static IP from your ISP.

What you're most likely asking (but using the wrong terminology) is that you want to take advantage of IMAP syncing with a POP3 account. This isn't possible, because the mail client has to provide this functionality.

You would be better off just getting a free gmail account, or MobileMe if you wanted PUSH on your mobile device. Both can use IMAP.

What's the best way to remotely sync two drives running OSX 10.5?
Q. I would like to daily sync my main storage drive at the office with one at a satellite office. The reasons for this are (1) to be able to access file from either location, and (2) to have an off-site backup. I've been looking at OpenVPN running on a dd-wrt enhanced router, but this looks like it might not be very reliable.

All of our computers are Macs.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

A. You want Apple remote desktop.
http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

Alternatively you could sign up for a Mobileme account with Apple which does all that stuff too.

Why is my OSX Lion Mail app Not in sync with my iphone mail app?
Q. When I erase an email on my iphone mail app from hotmail it does not get erased on my OSX Lion Mail app. How do I correct this because it is getting very old having to erase the same messages twice!

A. Go into itunes click on your iDevice and click the info tab, Scroll down to mail click sync mail and select whatever your mail app's called (I'm Win7 so I dunno what it's called) then click apply. Should fix it. If not, go into settings on your idevice and into mail and make sure it deletes from the server and not just from device, or make sure you mac's mail app only displays mail from the server/does not cache eMails




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment