Sunday, March 24, 2013

Can I use a D-Link adapter usb to Connect to the internet without Airport card on macbook?

Q. Well I ordered a macbook pro and its airport card is broken so I cant use wireless internet and i have a D-Link usb adapter can I use that for wireless internet?

A. To answer your question, yes, you should be able to use any USB wireless adapter, or any USB device in general, assuming the manufacturer has Mac drivers available if its not already supported in OSX.

But back up just a second... You ordered a macbook pro (i'm assuming brand new since you didn't state otherwise) and its airport card is broken? Unless you mean "its broken because i dropped my macbook down some stairs and now the wireless card doesn't work" then I would get that puppy to an Apple store or authorized repair center and have it taken care of under your warranty. I'll provide a link to locating an AASP.

How do I network a printer that goes through an XP computer to a Mac OSX computer?
Q. I want to be able to print from the Mac OSX computer directly to the printer that is hooked up to my Win XP computer. They are both connected to a Linksys router. I can't even get them to talk yet so that I can share files. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know how to do it if it was 2 PCs but this Mac thing is throughing me for a loop.
I was already using the XP computer to network with another XP computer and share files and the printer. But now that I'm hooked up to the Mac it's not working.

A. The Mac needs to be talking IP not appletalk. Here is a link for configuring TCP/IP on a MAC.
Once you get them talking you will be able to create a share on the MAC to use the printer, If the printer is directly attached to the PC, then you will need to create a share. The second link is how to select a printer via MAC OS for TCP/IP. TX

http://kb.iu.edu/data/berl.html

http://kb.iu.edu/data/aebb.html

Is there a way to get an older version of iMovie when I am currently usuing Mac OSX Leopard?
Q. I feel like before I upgraded my OSX iMovie was a lot more user friendly and I was wondering how I could get an older version of it even if I dont have the original OS that had the iMovie on it.

A. The actual OS does not come with a version of iMovie installed. New computers do, and others need to upgrade. If you move up from OS 10.4 to 10.5 you need to buy the iLife '08 package to get the new iLife programs.

That being said, if you have upgraded to iLife '08 and the new iMovie '08 there is a way to "downgrade" your iMovie. Apple was flooded with complaints from people who were unhappy with the "dumbing down" of iMovie in the new release and wanted their old iMovie HD back. They put a link online at http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html where users who have installed iMovie '08 can download the older version and "downgrade" back to the older version.

There are pros and cons of both versions but the one missing feature in iMovie '08 is the ability to tweak audio levels. You can fade out and fade in but cannot fade in the middle of a song like before. Audio editing in iMovie '08 is actually really poor. On the other hand the real-time editing of '08 is fantastic and the interface is definitely cleaner.

Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment